Helpful Resources: http://www.stepuputah.com
School notifications go out to parents/students/faculty and staff - via phone and email, even in the case of emergency.
Please check your email to see if you receive our weekly calendar called Ramped Up.
If not, please contact us, we want to make sure we keep you in the loop!
- ACT & SAT Test Dates 2016 - 2017
- AP Testing Schedule
- IB Testing Schedule
- Highland Testing Calendar
- PSAT 2016
- PSAT 2017
- ACT Practice Test Websites
- University of Utah ACT Prep Course
- Haloti Ngata Foundation ACT Class at Highland - (January class is full)
- Next Class starts March 13
- Mondays for 6 sessions - March 13, 20, 27, April 3, 17, 24 (no class the week of Spring Break)
- 2:45 - 4:45
- CLASSES FILL UP FAST
- Taught by Highland's Best Teachers!
- $5.00 - pay the treasurer to sign up OR go to www.myschoolfees.com Paying the $5 gets you into the class.
- Contact Karrie Jarratt at ext. 186 for more information.
IMPROVE YOUR STUDY SKILLS (all videos are free)
- Study Skills Videos from SLCC
- Classroom Notetaking Video from SLCC
- Distributed Practice Video from SLCC
- Learning Styles Video from SLCC
- Time Management Videos from SLCC
LOCAL BUSINESSES THAT CAN PROVIDE STUDY SKILLS CLASSES AND / OR TUTORING INCLUDING ACT / SAT PREP TUTORING
- Sylvan Learning - $$$
- Mathnasium - $$$
- Higher Ground Learning - $$$
- University Tutor - $$$
- University of Utah School of Medicine Learning Resource Center (FREE)
- TutorBowl.com - (Local tutors, most are currently public school teachers) $$$
- Tutoring Help- $$$
- School Express - $$$
- Career Assessments
- CTE Pathways and Classes Chart for 8th Graders
- HHS Complete Pathways Chart
- Resume Example
COLLEGE ADMISSIONS INFORMATION
- At a Glance: Utah College Facts
- Certificate and Associate Degree Training Programs
- Class Rank and College Admissions
- College Admissions Essay
- College Application Ethics
- College Prep Websites
- College Search and Application Worksheets
- Early Decision and Early Action Schools
- Foreign Language Requirements for More Select Universities
- How Many Applications are Enough?
- Personal Statements
- Senior Timeline for College and University Applications
- Utah College and University Interesting Facts
- What Counts in College Admissions
- What is a College Portfolio?
- Utah College Websites
FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- What is FAFSA?
- Scholarship Websites 2016 - 2017
- Tips for Writing Winning Scholarship Essays
- Regent's Scholarship Guide due February 1st
- Scholarships for Undocumented Students
- PACE Program (Full Scholarship to SLCC)
- Contact Sendys Estevez at 801-957-5030 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Daniels Scholarship Program
4- YEAR PLANNING GUIDES
- College and Career Readiness"Next Step" Planning Guide for Grade Level Students
- College and Career Readiness"Next Step" Planning Guide for Honor Students
- College and Career Readiness "Next Step" Planning Guide for IB / Pre-IB Students
PLAYING COLLEGE SPORTS
GRADE IMPROVEMENT AND CREDIT RECOVERY
- Graduation Requirements Information - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- New Honor's Diploma Requirements Start with Class of 2020
- Available Honor's Diploma Classes at Highland
IMPORTANT SENIOR INFORMATION
- Highland High School Important Senior Information 2016 - 17
- Letter of Recommendation Request Form
- Senior Timeline for College and University Applications
- Utah Futures
MENTAL HEALTH CONCERNS & HELPFUL INFORMATION
- Healing activities for grieving children and teens
- Mental Illness Brochure
- NAMI Treatment and Services
- Valley Mental Health Information
- What parents can do to deal with a crisis
- SAFE UT HOTLINE (CRISISLINE)... 1-800-273-8255
- University of Utah Health Care via the University Neuropsychiatric Institute
- Available 24/7 even on holidays
- PROVIDES CRISIS INTERVENTION AND EMOTIONAL SUPPORT
- Relationship Difficulties
- Depression / Anxiety
- Loss / Grief
- School Problems
- Drug / Alcohol Problems
- Any Life Challenge
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
MESSAGE FROM THE SCHOLARSHIP OFFICE:
Many scholarships, both academic and vocational, are available to students who qualify. While donors of these grants are interested in students who have achieved scholastic excellence, they also look closely at those who exhibit good citizenship, qualities of leadership, and development of individual talents. Students interested in scholarships should contact any of the Counselors or the Scholarship Coordinator in the Counseling Center. They will be helpful in providing additional information as well as assisting students in preparing and applying for such grants. Students may also write to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office of any particular college. Senior students should be aware of early application deadlines. There are many scholarships for non-seniors. Please check with your Counselor.
UTAH SCHOLARS PROGRAM
Application Process for Seniors
The application for the Utah Scholars Recognition certificate and medallion is open. If student are interested in applying please encourage them to fill out the form online. This is open to any student that meets the requirements. It is often asked if it too late to sign up and join the program if they are a senior; the answer is they can sign up at any time before the deadline. The college readiness activities can also be completed at any time. The grade-by-grade checklists are a suggested timeline that students can follow but, they will not be penalized if they complete an activity at a different time. If you would like me to send you a list of the students that have applied so far, let me know and I will get that to you.
The Utah Scholars Recognition Application deadline is March 31, 2017.
Getting the Utah Scholars Certificates and Medallions
Once we have reviewed all of the applications, we will email you a list with the names of the students receiving the Recognition along with a shipping confirmation link. You will receive a box with a medallion and certificate for each student along with a paper copy of the list of students and a brief description on suggested language to use when announcing recipients of the Utah Scholars Recognition. We ask for your help in getting the Utah Scholars certificates and medallions to the students during senior awards night, senior assembly, senior breakfast, luncheon, dinner, banquet, graduation or some other form you feel appropriate.
To ensure that we get the package to you in a timely manner please fill out this short form by March 24 asking you about the date you would like them by. http://bit.ly/USImedallion
Help Spread the Word
Throughout the school year we have been messaging seniors about the changes via email, newsletter, social media and text messaging and encouraging them to apply. If you are able we would love your help in promoting this application. Below are some suggested ways on how to promote the Utah Scholars Recognition.
Please keep in mind that while Utah Scholars Recognition is important, it is not a scholarship and does not carry a monetary award.