Every few years the guidance department has a "Comprehensive Guidance" review. As a part of this review, they are required to get data from our students. The survey is a needs assessment and will help us determine how we can best serve our Highland students. STUDENT NEEDS ASSESSMENT SURVEY LINK The code is P89DP5 if needed.
9th Grade College and Career Readiness (CCR) Meeting: Scheduling window will be open November 7-15 on Canyon Creek Scheduler Click Here
Click on image/button to view our latest newsletter :
9th GRADE | FRESHMAN
-or- NEW STUDENT'S NEWSLETTER
HIGHLAND HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELING CALENDAR 2018-2019:
HIGHLAND HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduation Requirements (fill-in sheet)
- HONORS DIPLOMA REQUIREMENTS for class of 2019:
- 5 Honors, Concurrent or AP courses taken and passed in 4 years at HHS, 2 of which need to be AP.
- Must have taken and passed 2 consecutive years of a World Language.
- Must have taken and passed 2.0 credits of Fin Art.
- Must have a cummulative GPA of 3.6 or higher.
- HONORS DIPLOMA REQUIREMENTS for class of 2020 and beyond:
- 16 Honors courses taken and passed in 4 years at Highland HS, 3 of which need to be AP or IB.
- Must have a cummulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Must have taken and passed 2 consecutive years of a World Language. (Level III or higher World Language classes count as Honors.)
IMPORTANT SENIOR INFORMATION
- https://spark.adobe.com/page/obeWoaaR8Pg6V/ Senior College and Career Readiness Planning Meeting Slide Show
- Letter of Recommendation Request Form
- Valedictorian Requirements
ONLINE OPTIONS FOR STUDENTS
- Online options at https://www.schools.utah.gov/edonline. Choosing to do online courses can reduce the number of classes and credits you can take at Highland HS.
ACT Testing Dates Highland does NOT administer the July test.
SAT Testing Dates Highland does not administer any SAT tests.
Haloti Ngata Foundation ACT Class at Highland
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
COLLEGE ADMISSIONS INFORMATION
- Certificate and Associate Degree Training Programs
- College Prep Websites
- Personal Statements
- What is a College Portfolio?
FINANCIAL AID AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- What is FAFSA?
- Setup my FSA ID for FAFSA
- Tips for Writing Winning Scholarship Essays
- Regent's Scholarship Student Portal
- Scholarships for Undocumented Students (DACA and non-DACA
- PACE Program (Full Scholarship to SLCC)
- Contact Sendys Estevez at 801-957-5030 or email@example.com for more information.
PLAYING COLLEGE SPORTS
IB INFORMATION for 2018-2019
IB Information Nights for all 8th graders interested in the Highland IB program will be held on November 8th and January 16th. You only need to attend ONE of the Information Nights.
The Thursday, November 8th meeting will be held at Highland High School in the Little Theatre at 6:00 pm. The Wednesday, January 16th meeting will be held at Highland High School in the Library at 6:00 pm. All interested 8th graders should attend with their parents to learn about Highland's IB Program. The program run at Highland is significantly different than the IB Program at West, so we would encourage you to attend Information Nights at both schools so you can learn about the difference between the programs. We will also have information about enrollment at Highland if you live outside of our boundaries.
IB Enrollment Nights for 8th graders who have applied and been accepted into Highland's IB program will be held January 23rd and February 13th. (This means if you would like to enroll on the 23rd of January, you should attend the November 8th Information Night so you will have time to complete the application, collect the required paperwork, turn it in for review, and get accepted into IB. If you wait until the January 16th Information meeting to make your decision, you might not have time to get all of that done before the 23rd, and would need to wait until the February 13th Enrollment Night.)
The Highland IB Handbook contains important information about what classes Highland offers in its 'one track' to diploma program. Click here HHS IB Handbook to download.
The application for IB is available here- IB Application.
If you would like additional information about the IB Program and how to apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
MENTAL HEALTH CONCERNS & HELPFUL INFORMATION
SAFE UT HOTLINE (CRISISLINE)... 1-800-273-8255
SAFE UT app is also available for free from any app store. Students can use this app to report bullying, harassment, suicidal thoughts or ideation, or any troublesome behavior. Reporting here is anonymous.
- University of Utah Health Care via the University Neuropsychiatric Institute
- Available 24/7 even on holidays
- PROVIDES CRISIS INTERVENTION AND EMOTIONAL SUPPORT
MESSAGE FROM THE SCHOLARSHIP OFFICE:
Many scholarships, both academic and vocational, are available to students who qualify. While donors of these grants are interested in students who have achieved scholastic excellence, they also look closely at those who exhibit good citizenship, qualities of leadership, and development of individual talents. Students interested in scholarships should contact their counselor or the Scholarship Coordinator in E106. Students may also write to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office of any particular college. Senior students should be aware of early application deadlines. There are many scholarships for non-seniors. Please check the list below for scholarships expiring soon.
Utah Scholars Recognition Application for Seniors
Seniors: to earn the Utah Scholars Recognition certificate and medallion, you will need to apply through the Step Up To Higher Education website. https://stepuputah.com/utah-scholars-recognition-application/
Complete the grade-by- grade checklists and have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. The application opens November 1 and closes March 1.
Throughout the school year we have been messaging seniors about the changes via email, newsletter, social media and text messaging and encouraging them to apply. If you are able we would love your help in promoting this application. Below are some suggested ways on how to promote the Utah Scholars Recognition.
Please keep in mind that while Utah Scholars Recognition is important, it is not a scholarship and does not carry a monetary award.