Click here to complete the 2023 IB applicationThank you for your interest in Highland High School’s International Baccalaureate program. Our program is an IB Diploma Program. All students in the program are working toward this end. We do not offer “a la carte” ib courses. If you would like more information not included on this page, including how to apply, please make an appointment with our IB Coordinator, Kyle Bracken.
IB DIPLOMA PROGRAM: https://ibo.org/programmes/
|SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT W/ MR. BRACKEN:
Preparation for the IB Program and IB Curricula
Highland High School 9th and 10th grade students planning to participate in the IB Diploma Program take Honors English, a world language, AP Human Geography, AP World History, Honors Chemistry and Honors Biology or AP Physics. The IBO defines the IB student as one who is in either 11th or 12th grade. Thus, it is in the last two years of high school that students prepare specifically for the IB examinations and diploma requirements. Courses in the 11th and 12th years focus on content, writing skills, critical thinking, and the application of concepts in the six subject groups and in a Theory of Knowledge course, which stimulates critical reflection upon the knowledge and experience gained inside and outside the classroom.
THE IB PROGRAM AT HIGHLAND
The IB Program is a challenging two-year curriculum for grades eleven and twelve. It leads to a qualification that is widely recognized by the world’s leading universities. Students learn more than a collection of facts. The Diploma Program prepares students for college-level work and encourages them to: ask challenging questions, learn how to learn, develop a strong sense of their own identity and culture, develop an ability to communicate with and understand people from other countries and cultures. All students regardless of gender, race, culture, or family income are eligible to apply.
IB DIPLOMA PROGRAM
International Baccalaureate Diploma Program students take one course from each of six groups, ensuring breadth of knowledge and understanding in their best language, an additional language, the social sciences, the experimental sciences, mathematics, and the arts. Students may choose either an arts subject from group 6, or IB Chemistry SL. The six IB subject areas and courses offered at Highland High are:
- Language A: Literature HL
- Language B: Spanish SL, French SL, German SL
- Individuals and Societies: History of the Americas HL
- Experimental Sciences: Biology HL, Physics HL, and Chemistry SL
- Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches SL
- Fine Arts: Visual Art SL /HL, Music SL, and Film Studies SL
Students at Highland will move through IB courses in 11th and 12th grade as a cohort. The IB administrative team, IB teachers, parents and students form a learning community to support and encourage each other.
To be eligible for the IB Diploma, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete course work and IB examination requirements in three higher-level disciplines and in three standard-level disciplines selected from the six subject areas listed above during 11th and 12th grade.
- Write an extended essay (4,000 words) on a student selected topic in one of the IB subject areas.
- Complete the Theory of Knowledge course.
- Complete Creativity, Action and Service experiences.
Principal Jeremy Chatterton