We know in recent weeks our community has paid close attention to the outbreak of novel (new) coronavirus (COVID-19). In response, the Salt Lake City School District has been in regular communication with the Salt Lake County Health Department(SLCHD) and the Utah Department of Health (UDOH)as they monitor the progress of COVID-19.Our district relies heavily on the expertise of these agencies on issues related to public health. We follow their recommendations closelyand are grateful for their support in informing us about these important topics.
To date, there have been no confirmed cases ofcoronavirus contracted in Utah, although one person has been quarantined in a Utah hospital as part of a transition plan to his home in St. George. While UDOH says immediate risk of this new virus for most of the American public is believed to be low at this time, everyone can do their part to help prevent spreading illness.
Here are some tips for what you can do right now to prevent the spread of any flu-like illness.
- Talk with your children about the importance of good hygiene habits, including proper handwashing instruction.
- Stay home if you are sick, and keep you students home if they are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, and encourage your students to do the same.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- If you or your child do have flu-like symptoms – sore throat, fever, cough, runny nose – please call your doctor.
If you need help accessing medical care, please speak with your child’s teacher or school principal for help in connecting to local resources.
We will work with our local health departments as they continue to monitor the status of COVID-19 in our communities, and we will provide you with updates when needed. In the meantime, you can find more information on the following websites.