FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
|9th, 10th, 11th GRADE SCHOLARSHIP BULLETINS|
WHAT DRIVES YOU SCHOLARSHIP DUE MONDAY, MARCH 14, 2022
Our commitment to our local schools and communities continues this year with the Jiffy Lube “What Drives You?” Scholarship program. Your local Jiffy Lube owners are offering two $6,500 scholarship awards and six $1,500 scholarship awards to 8 local high school students – students simply have to write about “What Drives You?” – no grade point or test score requirements!
Students attending high school in Utah can apply directly online NOW at: Jiffy Lube Teen Driver Scholarship Program - Utah (yourturn2apply.com)
Program Overview: Eight finalists will be selected from the 500 word “What Drives You?” essays submitted. (there are two categories: Already licensed teen drivers & driver’s ed students) . Each finalist will be guaranteed a minimum $1,500 award if they create and submit a 1-2 minute video that expands on their essay in their own candid words, visuals, etc. The overall $6,500 scholarship winner, in each category, will be chosen from these videos. Last year’s scholarship winners and the videos they submitted are posted on our site!
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTSGRADUATION REQUIREMENTS (fill-in sheet)
- HONORS DIPLOMA REQUIREMENTS:
- 16 Honors courses taken and passed in 4 years at Highland HS, 3 credits of which need to be AP or IB or Concurrent.
- Must have a cummulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Must have taken and passed 2 consecutive years of a World Language. (Level III or higher World Language classes count as Honors.)
IMPORTANT SENIOR STUFF
- Sending your ACT scores flowchart
- https://spark.adobe.com/page/obeWoaaR8Pg6V/ Senior College and Career Readiness Planning Meeting Slide Show
- Letter of Recommendation Request Form
- Valedictorian Requirements
ONLINE OPTIONS: Online options at https://www.schools.utah.gov/edonline. Choosing to do online courses during the school year will reduce the number of classes and credits you can take at Highland HS.
ACT Testing Dates Highland does NOT administer the July test.
SAT Testing Dates Highland does not administer any SAT tests.
ACT PREP Class at Highland
- Next Class - Feb. 19th - April 1st
- Wednesdays for 6 sessions
- CLASSES FILL UP FAST!
- Pay $5.00 to the treasurer to sign up OR go to www.myschoolfees.com. Paying the $5 gets you into the class.
- Contact your student's counselor for more information on when the next class begins.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
COLLEGE ADMISSIONS INFO
- Certificate and Associate Degree Training Programs
- College Prep Websites
- Personal Statements
- What is a College Portfolio?
PLAYING COLLEGE SPORTS
TALK TO YOUR STUDENTS ABOUT VAPING: Parents - Looking for information on how to talk to your student about vaping? Here is some good information: NPR
MENTAL HEALTH HELPFUL INFORMATION
SAFE UT HOTLINE (CRISISLINE) or call 1-800-273-8255
The SAFEUT app is also available for free from any app store. Students can use this app to report bullying, harassment, suicidal thoughts or ideation, or any troublesome behavior. Reporting here is anonymous.
Click on links below to access services and additional resources:
- University of Utah Health Care via the University Neuropsychiatric Institute
- Available 24/7 even on holidays
- PROVIDES CRISIS INTERVENTION AND EMOTIONAL SUPPORT
Click on image/button to view our latest newsletter :
9th GRADE | FRESHMAN
REGISTRATION FOR 2020-2021 COURSES HAS CONCLUDED. THIS WEEK COUNSELORS WILL BE WORKING TO FIND STUDENTS WHO DIDN'T PARTICIPATE IN REGISTRATION AND GET THEIR COURSE SELECTIONS PUT INTO POWERSCHOOL.
IF YOUR STUDENT IS NOT CURRENTLY ENROLLED AT HIGHLAND, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE PRE-ENROLLED TO CHOOSE CLASSES. BECAUSE OPEN ENROLLMENT IS NOW OVER, YOU SHOULD BE RECEIVING A LETTER SOON TELLING YOU WHETHER YOUR STUDENTS HAS BEEN ACCEPTED OR NOT. ONCE YOU HAVE RECEIVED A LETTER OF ACCEPTANCE, YOU CAN PRE-ENROLL YOUR STUDENT WITH THE APPROPRIATE DOCUMENTATION. PLEASE CALL THE ATTENDANCE OFFICE TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BRING.
Utah Scholars Recognition Application for Seniors
Seniors: to earn the Utah Scholars Recognition certificate and medallion, you will need to apply through the Step Up To Higher Education website. https://stepuputah.com/utah-scholars-recognition-application/
Complete the grade-by- grade checklists and have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA. The application opens November 1 and closes March 1.
Throughout the school year we have been messaging seniors about the changes via email, newsletter, social media and text messaging and encouraging them to apply. If you are able we would love your help in promoting this application. Below are some suggested ways on how to promote the Utah Scholars Recognition.
Please keep in mind that while Utah Scholars Recognition is important, it is not a scholarship and does not carry a monetary award.
Emily Rose Paul