College & Careers
"Your life is your story, and the adventure ahead of you is the journey to fulfill your own purpose and potential.”
Decide on Colleges that you want to apply to
- Big Future- use this website to help you make your decision
- College Fairs are a great way to learn about different colleges and what they have to offer. There is one in Salt Lake on October 8th!
- WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange)- save tuition on out of state school
- ACT Testing Dates
- Ask your counselor about the ACT prep class at Highland!
- For extra ACT prep use Shmoop on your canvas page!
- If you are not applying through Common App make sure to send your TRANSCRIPTS by your schools deadline.
- Send your ACT Scores to the schools of your choice
- Work on your personal statement
- If you need a LETTER OF RECOMMEND make sure you fill out the form and give your counselor or teacher at least two weeks notice.
- Start looking at scholarships and applying for FAFSA
- If you are planning on playing a sport in college make sure you are eligible.
- Meet with John Vallentine
Download the Keys to Success app and create an account! Once you have an account you will have access to explore the career center and take career assessments to find career fields that match with your interests. For additional support make an appointment with your counselor!
Shmoop is a free resource through your Canvas. Shmoop offers many resources including career exploration. Through Shmoop you will able to get career specifics, information on what the typical day would like in a specific career, financial literacy education and so much more!
Career and Technical Education classes are offered at Highland and give you access to career focused programs that prepare you for careers after graduation. At Highland we offer specific CTE Pathways.
Trade School can be a great way to learn skills related to specific careers. Attending a trade school can prepare you to become an electrician, dental hygienist, plumber, welder, mechanic and so much more!